Monday, January 08, 2007

My New Meizu

My wife bought me a MiniPlayer for Christmas, a portable media player made by Meizu, a Chinese manufacturer. I love the darn thing.

My wife has owned two iPods, an original and a Nano. I hate the darn things. I think they're unreliable and flaky. Oh, and overpriced.

But I have a large music library, and my new job has a long commute, plenty enough time to listen to some cool, geeky podcasts. She asked if I wanted one for Christmas. I said sure, but only if it works with Linux and plays ogg files. So she found the Meizu, which does that and much more, including videos, which I wasn't expecting. So far, I've been very impressed. There are plenty of reviews on the web, and YouTube has some demonstration videos.

If you're looking for a great DAP for Linux, I heartily recommend it. Amarok works well with it, and you can use mencoder to format your videos to play on it. It ships with the Windows-only VirtualDub, but the following mencoder incantation has worked great for me. SRC is the filename to be converted, and TGT is the name of the output file, sans extension.

CMD="mencoder $SRC \
-quiet \
-vc ffmpeg12,mpeg12, \
-ofps 20 \
-vf scale=320:240:0:0:0.00:0.75,expand=320:240,rotate=1 \
-ovc xvid \
-xvidencopts profile=dxnhtntsc:cartoon:zones=0,w,1.0:bitrate=384:pass=1 \
-oac mp3lame \
-lameopts cbr:br=128 \
-info name=$TGT \
-o $TGT.avi"

1 comment:

Jim Crossley said...

If the video is choppy or the sound isn't in sync, try reducing the bitrate from 384 to 256 and the fps from 20 down to 18, or even maybe a bit lower.